Friday 4 September 2009

Living with an Italian supermodel

I don't live with a supermodel and, the way things are going, it looks like I never will. Never mind, my life partner, the beautiful redhead, surpasses any supermodel anyway. However there is one aspect of my life that is somewhat like living with an Italian supermodel.

Living with a supermodel would surely be a challenge: all those tantrums and unreasonable demands, all those clothes and shoes. Still when you're out and about with her none of that would matter.

Similarly, when you're out and about, riding your Ducati, exhaust singing that V-twin song, more basso profundo than supermodel soprano, everything is wonderful and the experience wipes out any woes the bike may have given you. Even if you are just gazing at it wondering how the Bolognese manufacturer can make an industrial product look so right, all practical considerations fall away.

A Ducati is not a domestic appliance. If you want push-button motorcycling get a Honda. Any piece of thoroughbred machinery needs some care to keep it up to scratch. My own 1994 600 Supersport had 2013 miles on the clock when I bought it in November 1999. Low mileage, no problem I thought but, since then, I have replaced fork seals, wiring to the headlight, battery (a regular maintenance item really), voltage regulator and chain (twice, once as preventive maintenance and once when it broke 30 miles from home). I crashed it once, at 20 mph, and that added to the upkeep costs a bit, new fork yokes needed. Also I had it Dynojetted with a Termignoni exhaust, and had HyperPro suspension fitted. Now the mileage now is close to 20000 and nothing much has gone wrong in the past two years and I've had plenty of fun with it. Was there a point at which "La Superba" felt that I had spent enough and was due a little reward for my trouble?

I was so excited when I stumbled across my 600SS - by chance, at a Kawasaki dealer, 120 miles from home - that I didn't think about what might be lurking underneath. I would have bought it whatever.

Overall the bike has been perfect for my requirements. I only took my bike test at age 50 and immediately wanted a Ducati. The 600SS is nothing like as fast as a 600 4-cylinder but it's torquey, handles beautifully and is cheap to insure. I will probably replace it some time with a 749 - although that would truly be a "Prima Donna Assoluta".

No comments:

Post a Comment